Elevation Certificate & L.O.M.A. Application

If the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has determined your property is located within a flood hazard zone, the professionals at Bedrock can assist you in completing a FEMA Elevation Certificate and a LOMA or LOMR application.  These may be necessary in order to purchase flood insurance, as a part of the sale of the property or as a part of a new construction or remodeling process for your home. An Elevation Certificate is an administrative tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) used for the following purposes:
  • To provide elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with local, community floodplain management ordinances.
  • To determine the proper insurance premium rate.
  • To support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision (LOMR), which removes the structure in question from the flood map.

The Professional Land Surveyors at Bedrock Engineering have years of experience in producing elevation certificates and filing LOMA/LOMR applications. Elevation certificates measure the elevations around the house and property and compares them to the floodplain elevations determined by FEMA. This process helps an insurance estimator or city/county official determine the actual flood risk to your home and property.

If the Elevation Certificate determines that although a property is located in a designated FEMA Flood Hazard Zone, portions of the property and/or structure may be above the floodplain elevation, a LOMA (Letter of Map Amendment) Application can be submitted to FEMA to request that the property and/or structure be removed from the flood hazard zone. This would remove or reduce the requirement to obtain flood insurance for the property.

Bedrock can assist you in filing the FEMA Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA), stating the property or building is correctly shown outside the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) and, therefore, the mandatory flood insurance requirement does not apply. FEMA does not charge a fee to process LOMAs.

Because a LOMA officially amends the effective NFIP map, it is a public record that the community must maintain. Any LOMA should be noted on the community’s master flood map and filed by panel number in an accessible location. Bedrock will ensure all documents are properly filed to legally show where your property resides outside the flood hazard area.